Sunday, July 10, 2011

POISON

Poison

The poisons come
Through my skin
Through my mouth
Through my eyes
Through my ears
Up my butt and
Through my spirit

The poisons come anyway so
Bring them on
Fill er up and down the hatch
I drink food
            love
            hate
            sadness
            rage
            fear
            manipulation
            tactics
            medicine
            religion
            science
            politics
            economics
            history
            literature
            love
            romance
            tabloid
            popular
            anything tv
            iPod
            wireless phone
            cell phone
            movies
and .....magazines

I digest toxins that kill strong men and stronger oxen
I bathe in acids and bases undiluted and blistering and cook the skin off my old bones
Until it is time to eat some more poison food

The poisons come
From inside of me
         I age
         I assume
         I impulse
         I predict
         I self loathe
Then I blame you
Then I hate you
Then I consider you a foreigner
Alien to everything that is right and true
Certainly character assassination is justified
Race baiting can be effective
But then genocide is a much more sensible solution

         I keep using plans that have never worked
         I terrify my son and shame him until he hates me and follows in my footsteps
         Then I start on my grandson

         I choose poisons like a connoisseur
The right cigar
                food
                preacher
                mentor
                water
                politician
                neighbor
                show
                friend
                artist
                this or the right that

The poisons come
         I anticipate them
         I look at them
         I look at them come into me
         I romance them
         I tell stories and build legends around them
         I recite the deterioration of my flesh
         I look at them come and do not stop them
         I wonder about the poison
         I wonder at the virulence
         I wonder about my chances
         I wonder how long I've got
Will it get me this time?
Something will get me
Anything will do
As long as it is
More mellow-dramatic than my self-destructive mother and
more terrifying than my attention-hogging father.

But in the mean time
         I will be your poison
                       your base
                       your acid
Cooking hell into
                       your bones


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free. Post a Comment!